Game Day - Hurricanes - Dec. 31
- The Canadiens skated at PNC Arena on Tuesday morning ahead of their tilt against the Carolina Hurricanes. The game marks the first of three regular season meetings between the two teams during the 2013-14 campaign.
- Carey Price should make his 32nd start of the season on Tuesday night. He holds an 8-5-1 record and 2.44
goals-against average in 14 career games against the Hurricanes. Cam Ward will get the start in goal for Carolina.
|RAW: Brandon Prust|
- Based on the lines featured at practice, Michael Bournival could make his return to the Canadiens lineup after missing the last two games as a healthy scratch. The 21-year-old skated alongside Ryan White and Travis Moen on Tuesday morning. If Bournival returns, he will likely take Daniel Briere’s spot in the lineup. Briere was still skating after practice came to an end, suggesting he could be a healthy scratch.
If Bournival does get the nod to play on Tuesday night, a decision that should come later on today according to head coach Michel Therrien, the Shawinigan native is adamant that he’s set to take on the Hurricanes.
“You play hockey in order to play,” stressed Bournival, who has six goals and 11 points on the year, but has been held off the scoresheet in his last 13 games. “I’ve been working hard. I’ve been keeping myself ready if the coach called on me. I’m ready to go.”
- It should come as no surprise that the outcome of Tuesday night’s tilt carries some extra weight in the Canadiens locker room given that a new year is upon us.
Like every team competing on New Year’s Eve, the goal is to rack up an all-important two points in the standings and head into 2014 with momentum.
“Kind of the way we went into the Christmas break, we wanted to get a win going in there. It would be good to finish on a good note and create some good karma for the new year,” offered Brandon Prust, who was paired with Lars Eller and Alex Galchenyuk during the morning skate.
- While the Habs bench boss indicated that a decision on his forward lines will only come later on in the day, he did confirm that his defensive pairings will remain unchanged and that Douglas Murray will not play against Carolina.
- Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m. EST.
Lines and D pairings at practice:
Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta
Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher
Prust – Eller – Galchenyuk
Bournival – White – Moen
Parros - Briere